Nowadays there is a great advancement in the technology. Therefore, most of the enterprises are saying goodbye to the On-premise messaging environment and moving to Exchange Online. The basic reason behind the migration is to remove server version that is running the capital cost, advance the data management, etc. In the following segment, we will focus on the issues and ways to import EDB to Office 365.
Issues with EDB Files
In case the Exchange database goes corrupt, it can prove to be disastrous as all the data stored in it can get wiped out in an instant. Some of the factors, which cause corruption in EDB files or the reasons to migrate EDB to Office 365, are:
- Exchange server infected with malware infections.
- Exchange dirty shutdown due to improper shutdown.
- Exchange Server crashed due to power failure.
- Corrupt header of some emails
- Accidental deletion of emails.
Due to this, most of the users need to move their data from EDB to Office 365 mailbox.
Technique to Import EDB to Office 365 Account
There are two ways with which one can move its data from EDB to Exchange online as mentioned below:
Method 1: Transfer Exchange Database to Office 365 Manually
Users can import the data manually from Exchange mailbox to Office 365 mailbox via Outlook data file. Follow the systematic steps to execute the same.
Move data from EDB to Office 365 via PST Format
Step 1: Open the Exchange Power shell on your machine to import EDB to Office 365 manually.
In this export process, the first step is to run Add-PSSnapin command. This command is used to assemble all the add-ins of Exchange in the Windows PowerShell.
Step 2: If you want to export the entire mailbox content to the Outlook file format, then you can use the following command to export it.
In this, the mailbox from which the data is to be exported is named Aria and the shared folder in which the output file will be saved is PSTShare. The name of the resultant file can be selected by the user. In this case, named it as aria.pst.
Step 3: You can create an archive file by the following command to import EDB to Office 365.
Step 4: As illustrated before, the ContentFilter command can be used for selective exporting of Exchange data during the process to migrate EDB to Office 365.
Step 5: The next command which you can use to exclude Sent Items folder from being exported to intermediate file, is ExcludeFolder.
Import EDB to Office 365 via PST
To export Exchange mailbox to Exchange Online, you need to transfer the data of intermediate file to Office 365, there are two ways as explained below:
1. Upload Via Network: In this, the user needs to upload files over a network for the storage of MS Azure. Then, the import service is used which is provided by Office 365 to help the user copy the file data to mailboxes. So, in this way you can import EDB to Office 365 easily.
2. Physically Ship Drive: In this case, the user needs to copy the data to hard drive, which is encrypted for protection from unauthorised access. The drive should be shipped physically to MS Corporation from where the Data centre branch will route the copy as stated in the first process. After that user can import the data from Azure to Office 365.
By using the following steps, the user can carry out the file upload procedure:
- First, download and launch the PST Import Tool on your system to continue the process to move Exchange database to O365.
- When users import Outlook data file via a network by uploading, Azure AzCopy tool has to be downloaded to perform the task.
- Use the storage key and get the file uploaded on Azure storage by using the URL. And confirm the protected state of the file during the process.
- By using the AzCopy tool, to shift the data to the Office 365. As an optional method, the user can download the Storage Explorer for viewing the uploaded the data. It is freeware program to import EDB to Office 365.
- Now, create a CSV file for specifying the imported data on O365.
- Import exported EDB data to Office 365 account and submit the import-mapping file for data. Once the mapping is completed, import service will automatically start.
There are some limitations of using the manual process to export Exchange mailbox to O365. The process is lengthy to use and takes a lot of time. There are many chances of data loss while utilizing this procedure. Users should have the proper technical knowledge to utilize this process.
Method 2: Trouble-Free Solution to Import EDB To Office 365
To overcome the limitations faced by the above method, there is a software namely “Exchange to Office 365 Migration“. The application is programmed in such a way that it moves the complete data from Exchange database file to Office 365 mailbox. The application only needs the credentials of Office 365 account to transfer Exchange database to Exchange Online. The utility is completely safe to execute the conversion process in the proper manner. It is operable on all Windows OS.
Some more of the advanced facilities featured by the Exchange database recovery tool are:
- Corruption Resolvable: There are various levels of corruption i.e. logical corruption, Exchange store corruption, etc. The solution offered here is capable of recovering database from even the severest form of corruption with the help of advanced algorithms.
- Retentive Recovery: Metadata within an Exchange mailbox database is also retained successfully throughout the repair procedure. This may include; To, Cc, Bcc sent and received date, time, attachments, etc. all related to an email message.
- Export-Mailbox: Exchange Recovery solution is also capable of transferring the repaired copy of Exchange Server database into another Server mailbox successfully. The procedure import EDB to other format is executed by export mailbox option given under the software.
- Inclusive Transfer: Conversion and migration of database after recovery is executed including all the contents i.e. mailbox items; inbox, outbox, drafts, deleted items, sent items, etc; other components; calendar, contacts, journals, tasks, etc.
- Protected Data Recovery: The application is structured with successful and updated set of techniques that also allow users to process the recovery, conversion, and export of mailbox database even if it is in encrypted form or as an open database.