PST files are used by MS Outlook to store emails and other mailbox data. Sometimes, Office 365 users will have to move their emails from PST files to their Exchange Online mailboxes. Moving Outlook PST data to Exchange Online (Office 365) has many advantages:
- Easily accessible for the user from different devices and locations as the data is in the cloud.
- Reduces the chances of data corruption and damage
Manual methods to import Outlook PST to Office 365
There are two manual methods to import Outlook PST to Office 365. The network upload method and the direct shipping to Microsoft.
Method 1: Using the Network Upload method
You can import Outlook PST to Office 365 using the Network Upload method. The steps are given in brief here:
- Initially, you have to download and install Azure AzCopy tool and copy the SAS URL.
- Upload your PST file to Office 365. After that, you can view the list of uploaded PST files to Office 365.
- Now create a PST import mapping file and create a PST import job in Office 365.
- Apply filters to filter data, and then start importing the PST data to Office 365.
Method 2: Using the Drive Shipping method
You can Import Outlook PST to office 365 using the drive shipping method. In this method, you ship the storage device with the PST file to Microsoft for upload. The process (in brief) is:
- In the first step, you have to download a secure storage key and the Azure Import/Export tool.
- Now copy your PST file to a hard drive that can be shipped physically to Microsoft.
- Now create a PST import mapping file.
- After that create a PST import job in Office 365 to import PST file to Office 365.
- Now ship the hard drive with the PST file to Microsoft.
- Wait till the status of the import pages changes to ‘Analysis completed’ (takes 7-10 business days).
- Now filter the uploaded data and start importing PST files to office 365.